On behalf of the Prince Edward County Memorial Hospital Foundation Board of Directors, the Back the Build Campaign Cabinet and the staff, thank you for attending our Back the Build Community Update. We are so glad you could join us and our project partners to hear firsthand an update on how plans are progressing as we work towards building a new hospital in Prince Edward County.
Almost 90 participants attended our virtual update. Our sincere gratitude is extended to our panel of speakers: Mayor Steve Ferguson; Quinte Health Care President and CEO, Stacey Daub; David Steiner from Infrastructure Ontario; and HDR Architect, Jason-Emery Groen.
We are also grateful to R. Donald Maracle, Chief of the Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte and David Joyce, Director of Riding Affairs for MPP Todd Smith for joining us as our special guests.
Here are some key highlights from the presentation:
- The new hospital is being designed to include natural light and clear, open spaces that will ‘de-institutionalize’ the look and feel of the facility
- The use of sustainable materials will be incorporated wherever possible
- The design will integrate nature with staff and will have patient gardens to provide respite
- The new hospital is being designed to allow for 18 inpatient beds with the ability to expand up to 23 – all private rooms, with private washrooms.
- The new hospital will be able to adapt to the changing needs, or threats from diseases such as the current pandemic
- The building will total 92,620 square feet (currently 56,000) and be laid out on two levels. The extra space is largely due to expanding emergency and allowances for an ambulance garage
- Infrastructure Ontario’s involvement strengthens the process by ensuring the project is completed on time and on budget
- Construction of the new hospital is set to begin in 2024 and doors will be open in 2027. It is hoped that construction will support local suppliers and provide well paying jobs
The recording of this update can be viewed by following this link: https://youtu.be/bQbDynzklWM
For a copy of our media release, to make a donation or to learn more about the Back the Build campaign, visit.
If you have any questions or feedback for the presenters, email us at email@example.com or call 613-476-1008 ext. 4502.
Thank you again for your attendance and for investing in the future of exceptional health care delivery in Prince Edward County.